Sadly women typically cleanse their skin for only three seconds—and men for even less time. Yet proper cleansing is the foundation for your whole skincare routine. Inefficient cleansing can lead to breakouts, congestion, sensitivity and other adverse skin reactions.
Here are my top tips for perfect cleansing:
1. Cleanse twice a day with a double cleanse in the evening.
2. Use your fingers to find the crevices and folds of your skin. Be extra careful around your nose, the crease of your chin and under your chin.
3. Go over your ears and behind your ear lobes. Behind the ears can become congested because of pressure from sunglasses or glasses and a ‘tide line’—a build up of foundation and SPF products.
4. Use good tools. For extra exfoliation and deep pore cleansing use a facial brush. For gentle, hygienic cleansing, use a Sponge Cloth from Dermalogica, which is anti-bacterial and, unlike some other cloths, does not leave tiny fibres on your skin. Never rinse your face directly under a hot shower because this causes broken capillaries and compromises your skin’s lipid barrier.
5. When you are being lazy or need convenience we highly recommend Dermalogica’s PreCleanse Wipes for gentle but effective makeup removal on the go. Most facial wipes available in supermarkets and pharmacies are alcohol based, which means they strip the skin, eventually causing sensitivity and breakouts.
Myth: Toners finish off the cleansing process.
FACT: If you see make-up on a cotton pad after cleansing you have not cleansed properly.
Myth: A clean skin should fell tight and squeaky.
FACT: If your skin feels like that you have stripped and compromised your skin, which stimulates overreaction.